Function of Hand Tools
Hand tools have today become
indispensable equipment for making work easier. A tool provides a
mechanical advantage in completing a physical task. Hand tools can be
defined as any device placed in the hand to help in doing a task more
efficiently, and in an easier and safe manner. Hand tools can include a
wide variety of tools such as:
- Power tools
- Screw drivers etc
All tools have some specific functions to perform such as
- Concentrating force
Various hand tools are used for performing different tasks like as
- A hitting tool called hatchet is used for
chopping chunks of wood, green stuff, striking the wood and
injecting chemicals and pesticides into the wood.
- A short handled hammer, also known as mallet
is used for striking a ball like in a polo game. This hand tool is
used for flattening, smoothing and crushing certain material.
- A wide bladed hand tool, mattock, is used in
agricultural fields to dig soil and used for smashing and cracking
- An axe is used to cut wooden blocks. It is
also used for piercing, cutting wooden raw materials.
- Knife is used in kitchen work for cutting,
peeling, chopping, fruits vegetables, breads etc.
- A wrench is used to hold securely a screw or
a nut or a bolt and helps to insert or remove it from the object. It
applies torque to a hard to move item.
- A hammer is used to strike an object or
deliver blows to an object. It is used for driving nails, breaking
up objects and fitting parts.
- A chisel is used for carving or cutting a
hard material like wood, stone, or metal.
- A saw is used for cutting wood or other
- A hand tool like a plier is used for gripping
objects by using leverage.
Thus we can say that functions of hand tools are wide and varied
and they constitute a very important part of human being's life.